Black Dog

Default One for the not so swift among us-

Jack Goff wrote:
On 26 May 2006 10:47:52 -0700, "basskisser"
wrote:

Now, remember, I never said that human activity is wholly responsible
for global warming.

That the earth is currently experiencing a small upswing in temps is
pretty much an undeniable fact.

What bothers me abouty this whole thing is that we have "experts"
trying to tell us what it's going to be like in the year 2100. Hell,
the weatherman can't tell us what the weather will be like 5 days from
now with any kind of decent accuracy! Weather is simple compared to
*climate*, and we're supposed to put faith in these predictions?

Jack

It bothers me that people who are refered to as "scientists" (I don't
know if they call themselves that) treat the results of modelling
experiments like they were real data.

I bothers me that people with political agendas can ignore the simple
fact that the sun is responsible for pretty much all of climate
everywhere in the solar system (there are ecosystems in deep sea vents
that do not rely on the sun but they don't really have anything you
would call climate). So an overactive sun at a time when you'd expect
sunspots to at a minimum might be interesting to look at - but anyone
who tries is mocked and accused of being in bed with Exxon or Mobile.

It bothers me that some Australian "Environmentalist", with a book to
sell, comes to my country and tells us that the polar bears are drowning
and will be extinct in 25 years and he makes the front page of every
paper and "no polar bears in 25 years" becomes an accepted fact and a
greenie mantra. When a polar bear biologist from Iqualuit says the
Aussie is full of beans, his words only make the Op Ed page.

I attended my first lecture on global warming in my second year
university in 1985 (back then we called it "the greenhouse effect").
The learned professor displayed the results of the models in graphs and
maps. The predictions he made then haven't changed much in 26 years,
but the dates that these events are to happen sure has. Back then,
there would be no Maldives by 1997 (the Maldives did almost vanish in
2004 but the tsunami was NOT caused by climate change). Much of the
Eastern Seaboard was gone by now. The millions of people displaced by
rising sea levels have started numerous conflicts by now. Forgive me if
I'm a little cynical, but in 26 years NOTHING he predicted has happened.

I'm not saying we should go around polluting as much as possible. I'm
just saying that that there's a lot of bull**** passing itself off a
science these days. My theory is that it is caused by too many people
being university educated (and thus call themselves "scientists")
without being really smart.

On a happier on topic note, I think we are FINALLY going to launch the
boat tomorrow. Whew!

Stella