posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default VHF with DSC & AIS output?

(Matti Raustia) wrote in
:

I see no reason why we can't have a VHF set with integrated AIS
receiver and your message does not tell any reason for that either.
Obviously the set should have dual receiver circuits, the other for
AIS data channel and the other for normal traffic.

matti

Because the receiver cannot be in two places at once, you chatting away on
Ch 68 and monitoring the shipping on AIS simultaneously. You'd need a
radio with two transmitters (one a transponder) and two receivers. Two
separate units is better. If one craps out or its technology gets old, you
don't need to scrap the other.

It's why we have component stereos. When the CD player dies, we keep the
receiver/amp.