Chris

Default gale piston?

tested out this little motor after the fix and she works pretty good I'd
say. No problems running her now. Although for 3hp she isn't strong enough
to move my bigger boat....

"Chris" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Rob,
The Gasket fit. Cooling issues as well as other gasket issues too, carb
cleaning, etc. She seems to run fine right now in a barrel. Although I
don't suspect at this old age she'd last long if abused at full throttle.
For trolling I think she may be ok, but I'll have to test that out soon.

do you know what the correct oil mixture is suppose to be? Is it 25:1?
or 40:1 for this old thing?

"trainfan1" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
Yup its a twin cylinder. little one.
The compression was done dry - 50lbs
Run last year.
Got it actually running this year briefly until it seized up... Believe
it was overheating... After cooling down it wasn't seized anymore. and
the compression was still 50lbs.

I verified the holes again, and yes there are holes there, how deep I
don't know, but seems they get narrow. There's carbon around them, so
to say they are identical is hard. The top of the piston is not flat
though, it does have a crown which I think would be thick.
I'm thinking about taking the head off it to look closer.

Since I don't have a new gasket set, I may have to consider options for
home-made gaskets like they used to do in the old days....

Water pump has great rubber, so not sure if something could be plugged
around the head? thus not allowing water through? I want to take it
all apart, but still a little shy due to the gasket situation...

Try:

http://images.google.com/images?q=sierra+18-3841

This should be your head gasket...

Rob