Dave Hall

Default OMC 2.3L Question

I had a 18' Sunbird cuddy with that engine for a couple of months
(bought it in August 2004 and hurricane fed floods washed it away
and over several dams in Sept 2004). During that short time, I had to
purchase a prop. It was a 15 1/2 pitch 3 blade. As I remember, that
engine & drive combination had a significantly different (higher)
specification for WOT RPMs than a merc Alpha 1. Too many people
(dealers) prop those boats using standard Alpha 1 WOT RPM specs and
put to big of a prop on. Mine planed out nice and rode nice with that
prop - not a lot of top end but a pleasant ride.

Dave Hall

On Mon, 22 May 2006 20:48:26 -0400, Mark
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Mark wrote:
Sort of a two-parter.

I realize this isn't a particularly strong engine, but feel like it
still doesn't perform as well as it should.

A) Does anyone know what the factory prop was for this engine (1990)?

Depends on the boat. WOT rpm range is the important number when
buying/sizing a prop. For most fiberglass boats, should be 15" or 17"
for lighter hulls.

It's a 17 1/2' Sunbird (fiberglass). No longer made. Haven't had it
out this year, and can't recall what RPM it was hitting. The problem is
that with a decent payload (~600 lbs), it's very difficult, if even
possible to get on plane. I often have to hunt for another boat that's
throwing a good wake and "surf" its wake to get enough speed to get up
on plane. Actually a skill I got pretty good at, but a pain even so.

(B) Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a bit more HP out of it
for a reasonable price?

This engine is only 95 hp in a car, w/ a Holley/Autolite 2bbl carb, &
OMC says 120 hp in your boat, but can be 205-210-215 hp in turbocharged
form - google "Mustang SVO" for more info...

That's the sort of stuff I had already found. Can't justify spending
that sort of money on a pleasure craft. I'd just as soon sell it and
buy a bigger one if that's what it's coming to.

Have searched for electronic ignitions, but the
few I've found out there are stupid expensive.

Check "Retro Rockets Pertronix" in a web search.

It won't give you much if any perfomance boost, but your state of tune
will be more consistant.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Mark