akheel

Default Easiest way to power an air pump

I would agree wtih those who say install the 12v outlet. I would add, that
on my 18ft runabout, I installed the outlet on the dash (easy to drill
through, just make sure there is nothing behind what you drill into) and
wired it off an unused accessory switch. The switch was already wired to
the fuse bank, so I didn't have to worry about that, although I did have to
put a fuse in the bank. I picked up one of those all weather outlets at
West Marine that has the little rubber cover. Never had a problem with
moisture. Wiring through the switch is great becasue not all 12v
accessories have their own switch (like some of the cheaper pumps) so I can
turn the device on and off from the dash switch. As the others said, its
great for cell phone charging and spot lights. I tried all of the other
methods suggested at one time or another and this is the way to go. If you
do it right, it will look like its factory installed.

As for the pump, go with one that lets you connect the hose both to the
presure and the vacuum side of the pump. That way, when your done with the
toys you can use the pump to deflate as well. Not only does it speed up the
process, but more importantly, it sucks out every last bit of air and
really lets you fold the vinyl into a compact package for stowage. I don't
know about you, but with the size of my boat and all the crap we take
along, stowage space is at a premium.

"Jay" wrote in
:

This year will be our first year using inflatable toys out on the
river, and the dilemma I have is -- how to inflate them before use.
So far my options seem to be:

- Do it at the car with a cigarette adapter, and mini inflating
device.

- Install a 12v. power source somewhere in the boat (drill hole/mount
the
plug somewhere)

- Install a 12v. power source that hangs out somewhere in the battery
compartment under an aft seat (this way I don't have to drill any
holes in the boat)

- Find a battery operated pump, which'll prolly eat up batteries like
no
tomorrow

- Use a new cleaver idea someone in the ng will come up with : )

-j