Tim

Default Saving a sunk 1959 CC SeaSkiff

"Drain and Fire" sounds easier than it is, or should be.

Even though the engines have been pickled. the fuel system[s] need
flushed. Pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over to get rid of
water in the chambers, that is..IF the starters aren't already
corroaded and need rebuilt or replaced. Also the alternator[s] should
be checked over because there's been water in the bearings, and the
brush's are probably corroaded. Your carbs need to be flushed out
too. water has a strange way of seeping into places in almost no time,
that can cause you fits of cutting out and hard if even not starting.
"SeaFoam" is a great additive for an initial carburator flush and any
decent parts store carries it. You're electonic ignition is probably OK
providing you pull the distributor caps and shoot them out with
starting fluid or a good drying agent, and let them dry really well.
If you are running an I/O (mercruiser?) Treat the lower end as well.

I would suggest to clean ALL your wiring connections, even the ones you
can't hardly get to, and spray with a quality electrical cleaner then
hit again with a good penetrating oil.

Good luck...

Paul Wiggins wrote:
The recent Merrimack River floods have claimed my 1959 CC SeaSkiff. Twin
427's, Carter carbs, Paragons, etc. The water did NOT hit the gages..
but came within inches. Engines were pickled 3 years ago... Water has
receded and I'm about to drain and fire them up... drain... etc...

Any other tricks... what about the wiring?

many thanks.
-paul