Dan Krueger

Default propeller help needed: 150HP Evinrude 1993

bleezle wrote:

All,

I have recently purchased a 1993 Stratos 274 DC bass boat, 17.5' long.
It came with what I was told
was a stock motor -- 150 HP Evinrude.

The seller had changed the prop to a spare he had -- 25 pitch, 13.5",
4 blade propeller. The boat
now has a hole shot that takes a long time, bow wayyyyyy up until you
nurse back power a bit to
bring it on plane. It generates 4400 rpms and reaches about 50 mph via
gps (MFG range is 4500-5500 RPM at WOT). It has a jackplate and
I've raised it from about 6 inches to about 4 currently.

Does anyone know what the original prop would be? If not, does anyone
have any advice about
what I should try next?

What I've read online suggests this:

*get RPM's up first -- and that reducing pitch by 1" = 200 RPM's on
average. So I'm thinking dropping
pitch by 3-4" is the right place to be, or in my case either a 21 or
22" prop.

*blades -- 3 or 4?? I have no idea what the difference might be.

*diameter: I have no idea.

Thanks much!!

Please reply to

Does the prop have black rubber plugs on the side? If it does, you
might want to try venting it. Google the group for plenty of info on that.

You can also try the Mercury prop selector, the brand makes little
difference:

http://sites.mercurymarine.com/porta...che ma=PORTAL

Dan