trainfan1

Default OMC 2.3L Question

Mark wrote:
Sort of a two-parter.

I realize this isn't a particularly strong engine, but feel like it
still doesn't perform as well as it should.

A) Does anyone know what the factory prop was for this engine (1990)?

Depends on the boat. WOT rpm range is the important number when
buying/sizing a prop. For most fiberglass boats, should be 15" or 17"
for lighter hulls.

(B) Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a bit more HP out of it
for a reasonable price?

This engine is only 95 hp in a car, w/ a Holley/Autolite 2bbl carb, &
OMC says 120 hp in your boat, but can be 205-210-215 hp in turbocharged
form - google "Mustang SVO" for more info...

Have searched for electronic ignitions, but the
few I've found out there are stupid expensive.

Check "Retro Rockets Pertronix" in a web search.

It won't give you much if any perfomance boost, but your state of tune
will be more consistant.

Rob

Thanks,
Mark