Carl

Default Lobster Pot floats and toggles

It's been said that you can cross some Maine harbors by jumping from
buoy to buoy. But in my last four trips to Maine I've only snagged
three pots. Two came off in less than five minutes with a boat hook.
One had to be cut but I was able to retie it to the buoy.

Ansley's advice is excellent. The simplest thing is to pass close to
the down wind/current side - the same side the buoy stick is pointing.
That will keep you away from the line and the toggle. On this side you
can safely pass a buoy very close - even touch the hull.

While under sail, most pots will slip off, a wrap around your prop is a
whole different problem. If you are motoring among pots, be ready to
slip into neutral and give the stern a kick away. Watch for the buoy to
pop up astern before going back into gear.

While you should be able to avoid night sailing, you aren't likely to
avoid the fog. It's a fact of life. Remember that fog scales up
downwind of an island or peninsula but really piles up on the windward
side. Plan your arrivals accordingly.

Carl