Wayne.B

Default Lobster Pot floats and toggles

On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:52:26 GMT, "Cap'n Ric"
wrote:

Even so,
I'm planning to do no sailing at night or in the fog while within any bays
or near coastal waters of Maine. Any personal experiences will be greatly
appreciated.

In my experience sailing is not as big an issue as motoring,
especially if you have a folding prop, although you can also catch the
lines on your rudder post. The lobster pots are everywhere, almost
impossible to avoid them all, and sooner or later you will snag one
regardless of precautions. Carry a diver's mask, snorkel, fins and
several sharp knives with lanyards.

Fog is as inevitable as the lobster pots. You will either need to
become comfortable operating in it, or spend a lot more time in port
than you would like. It also comes and goes so total avoidance is
imposssible. That said, sailing in and around Maine's mist enshrouded
small islands is absolutely part of the charm and will become one of
your best memories.