JohnH

Default Don't do it

On Sun, 21 May 2006 09:44:08 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

JohnH wrote:

Most of the crap I've uninstalled was on the machine when I got it. Dell
loads the machine with garbage, and by looking at the registry problems, I
can see that many of them have the word 'dell' embedded therein.

A great many of the problems have to do with 'invalid values' and many of
those refer to programs, like AOL, which were installed by Dell. If all
these are read and actions are attempted, wouldn't that make the boot-up
process slow? The only 'problem' I'm having is what I perceive to be
'sluggishness'.
--
'Til next time,

John H

Interesting. I had a Dell machine a few years ago, and the first thing I
did when I got it was to format the HD and reinstall an OS I did not
obtain from Dell. The problem with these box makers is that they load up
their machines with all sorts of crapola.

Before killing off troublesome registry entries, you might want to see
which processes are actually initiated during startup. Do you have
"StartupCop Pro" or anything like that? It lists the software that
starts up when boot up your computer and gives you the ability to
temporarily or permanently stop individual programs. At the very least
you need a list of what software programs are running during your boot
up and while your machine is sitting idle and waiting for you do do
something.

All that being said, I still believe the best thing to do is to clean
off the hard drive and reinstall a clean OS without the Dell crap on it.

I don't have 'start up pro', but have gone into msconfig, startup, and
disabled most of the programs that were starting up.

Cleaning the drive and reinstalling Windows is an option, but things
haven't gotten that bad yet. I still can't type faster than the machine can
show the letters!
--
'Til next time,

John H