posted to rec.boats.electronics
Mark / Amy Read

Default SSB question

I have installed my ICOM SSB as Chuck described, where the lower
Isolater is 12 to 16 inches from the bottom of the deck. The wire from
the ICOM tuner runs right up the backstay to the Isolater. I used zip
ties to hold the wire in place, and then used rigging tape to hold it
all in place. I have not used any type of PVC pipe or other cover for
the backstay for heat protection. My thinking is that it only gets hot
when you are transmitting. Someone would really have to lean way out
to touch it and it would have to be at that random moment when I am
transmitting on the SSB. The rigging tape wrapped around the backstay
for three or four feet is more than enough to keep from any accidental
burns.

All of this is to say that I am very pleased with the unit and the
installation. One final thought for putting the lower insulator low to
the deck is that this increases the length of your backstay (antenna).
The longer your antenna the farther your signal will go and the better
you can get signals.

-Mark Read
www.GoReads.Com