posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Default SSB question

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article ,
"just me" wrote:

I'm preparing to install a SSB and have been advised to hold the antenna
cable off the backstay an inch or so until it actually connects to the
backstay above the lower isolater. Any ideas what I might use for
standoffs?
Thanks

Small blocks of teflon work well, as do plastic clothspins....

Bruce in alaska

An alternative approach (if you have not already installed the lower
insulator in the backstay) is to place the insulator as close to the
deck as you can while still achieving a proper attachment. The antenna
cable would then attach much closer to the deck. The backstay could be
run through a length of insulating pipe or tubing: something black and
impervious to UV. A six-foot length would do. Or, by cutting a slit in
any 1/2" plastic pipe you can install it and hold it with nylon ties,
and after a few years it is easily replaced.

This would have no effect on the length or operation of the antenna, but
would result in a more robust installation that would withstand impacts,
bumps, etc., as well as a plain backstay.

Good luck,

Chuck