RG

Default Don't do it

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
RG wrote:

Gee. My PC isn't a "multi-media" PC? I wonder what it is missing? :-)
Actually, when I bought my PC parts, I had a choice of OS's, and "media
center" was one of them. If memory serves, it was "missing" some
interesting networking components, so I went with XP Pro instead.

Nice try. Windows XP Media Center Edition is built on the XP Pro
chassis. The splash screen at boot is the same black splash screen of XP
Pro. XP Media Center has every single component of XP Pro, with the
Media Center interface added. The Media Center part of the OS is a
supplementary layer of the OS. If it is not invoked, you are running a
standard XP Pro machine. If it is invoked, it runs as an application
under XP Pro. Media Center is only available as an OEM install, and only
available on PC's which meet MS hardware standards for a Multimedia PC.
These standards include a minimum hard drive size, ram, processor speed,
and video card performance specifications, as well as the required TV
Tuner and multimedia ports.

I have two HP Multimedia Desktops that I bought in 2005. I wasn't really
looking for a Multimedia PC per se, but as it turns out it was a very
convenient way to buy a box equipped with much better than average
componentry packaged together, and HP was damn near giving the things
away at the time. But I have to say that the Multimedia part of the OS
turns out to be a nice addition to XP Pro.

Nice try what? I bought my pieces and parts from an OEM. Ergo, I was
offered several flavors of XP, including XP Pro and XP Media.

Nice try claiming that XP Media Center Edition lacked networking features of
XP Pro, which is the sentence in your previous post (purposefully clipped by
me) immediately preceding my comment, the reason you stated that you passed
on it in favor of XP Pro, and the main point of my reply. You really don't
want to dance with me.