posted to rec.boats.electronics
Pascal

Default A question about NMEA, AIS and Raymarine

Hi John,

Your help was fundamental in this project, as we have made the SR161
AIS installation on the Raymarine C80 today and the thing is working
without problems. All that you say is true:
a) The S1G does not have any NMEA links to C80 and as you have said,
the manual says that the internal gyro of S1G sends the info to C80
using the SeaTalk.
b) Glad to know that the Marpa and the Overlay do not suffer to much,
using SeaTalk instead of NMEA, but I am not from Europe, we live in
Brazil and the ships trafic here is much much smaller, and the weather
too is much more fair (no fog here, only rain) so the Radar Marpa and
Radar Overlay performance is not a problem to us. Our boats are 36 ft
sloop cruiser/racer type, made here in Brazil.
c) The VHF/DSC radio is a ICOM IC-M402, not a Raymarine as I was
supposing, and my friend decided to cut the NMEA cable from it and
connect it to the standard serial SR161 AIS cable. Here DSC is totally
unsupported by in land authorities , the only use for this would make a
emergency call to a IMO ship at sea, because inside the bay all ships
talks by std VHF channel 16.

Glad to know you are from Australia, my son lives in Sidney for more
than 5 years now, he is married with an Australian girl and work for an
American Consulting Company named "Gartner Group"; he likes to sail
too, and eventually, makes some bare boat charts in Sydney, but he
prefers Bavarias Yachts with more than 36 ft...

Thanks You very much and thanks too, to all people here which kindly
reply my question and offered help. Now we go play with AIS..

Best regards

Pascal Goncalves
Salvador-BA/BRAZIL
S 13 00/W 038 27