posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

Default Autohelm 5000 Boat going in circles

In article ,
"Glenn Strazds" wrote:

Hi there Bruce...

Did it ever work correctly for me; No! I'm the second owner of the boat
Hunter 40 85 model.

I did open up the controller box - tested the transistors; all OK; checked
out the pn# of the IC's several nor and gates where I will have to
completely dismantle the board to test - and build a logic table test bed as
well...
Is it possible the previous owners electronics installer guy made a reverse
wiring booboo - Does not look like it though?? Why; When the unit is turned
on it is not supposed to spin all the way around to hard over and stop?

I kinda wondered how it knew the boat is going forward - Did the hold a
course for 20 seconds; then engage; where on one occasion over a minute
decide to slowly veer towards a buoy... others - hard over

Boats far away to far to check right now

I'm close to pushing the button on the purchase of a Navman autopilot off of
ebay new
Since the drive motor is apparently compatible with the autopilot where I do
not currently need to also buy a hydraulic pump and ram;

Apparently the drive motor is permanent magnet with replaceable bearings

Ought to be OK with a new setup; Includes rudder position sensor arm

Thanks Glenn Strazds

Like I stated, if it never worked correctly from the "Get Go", then
the most common problem would be a reversed drive power. Seen it
to many time to ignore. Try reversing it and see what happens, you
can't be any worse off by doing this test.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @