Default Help Sizing an Auxiliary Outboard Motor for a 18-ft Boat

Harry Krause wrote:
wrote:
Seem like the choice is between 9.9hp and 6hp. I don't want to run a
boat when I expect the wind will be blowing hard. In theory, this
means that a 6hp should be good enough. But I remember one time I ran
a boat and the day started quite well enough, and then in the afternoon
the wind started picking up. Sound like a 9.9hp is a better bet just
in case the weather unexpectedly changed right in the middle of a trip
in a 9.9hp-only lake. Now, I just need to find a way to dismount/mount
a 100-lb 9.9hp outboard by myself when I need to use the outboard in a
small row boat. Thanks for sharing the info.

Thanks for the info about prop with low pitch and many blades. Do I
need to change the prop back to the way it was when I move the outboard
to a small boat?

Jay Chan

"Now, I just need to find a way to dismount/mount
a 100-lb 9.9hp outboard by myself when I need to use the outboard in a
small row boat."

Free weights.

Good point. Now, I have thought of this for the second time, I think I
should be able to handle 100-lb motor. What was I thinking anyway? I
must have thought of lifting 100-lb overhead for 10 repetitions instead
of just lifting the 100-lb from one boat to the other. Now that I know
I should be able to lift a 9.9hp motor without hurting myself, I should
not hesistate to choose a 9.9hp outboard.

Jay Chan