posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Proctor

Default A question about NMEA, AIS and Raymarine

On 2006-05-16 21:05:34 +1000, "Pascal" said:

Thank You very much John,

The autopilot S1G is standard, that is, the Gyro and S1G was installed
together the same time. There is no external gyro.

Based in your response, I understand that:

1) The Gyro is already sending info to C80 Radar Marpa using the S1G
SeaTalk connection so it do not use the NMEA port

The gyro mearly sends heading data. All the MARPA calculation is done
in the C80. I don't recall what type of vessel yours is but the update
rate shouldn't make a big difference. We get a few Benneteau boats (423
and 476) down here with the standard corepacks as well as radar and the
overlay is not too bad. But we don't get the traffic you Europeans get
either ;-)

2) If the VHF/DSC (wich is Raymarine too) is connected to NMEA out port
of C80, I can change this, and connect the VHF NMEA In to the NMEA Out
of the S1G, as the S1G receives Gps data from NMEA In from a garmin
GpsMap276C.

This is correct?

Yes you will get the appropriate info for getting a position for the
radio. I was assuming you were using one of the ICOM VHF radios. We
have done several installs with no problems.

Another question: if the VHF/DSC radio is Raymarine, it do not talks
SeaTalk? Could it receive gps data from the Raymarine Gps smart
antena directly?

Can't answer that as the Raymarine VHF is not type approved in
Australia. I've only seen one and that was on a boat built in the UK.
Check the manual. If it is Raymarine 54E it only accepts NMEA and if it
is the 240E it accepts NMEA and seatalk according to their current
catalogue.

Depending on how complex the installation is and what sources and sinks
you have for NMEA data you may want to take Meinderts advice and look
at a mux. If it is relatively simple you may not need one. I really
can't comment without a complete picture of what you have as a config
and what all the intended applications are.

--
Regards,
John D Proctor