Jeff

Default tropikool refridgerator

Sailaway wrote:

Ya know, this thread keeps gettin sillier and sillier. Amp-hours, if
anyone cares to look it up instead of just flappin, is a measurement of
current. And I defy anyone, including Mr. Kinch, to find a way for
current to flow without time. If current was without time, it could not
possibly *be* current. It would then be reduced to "...potential for
current to flow, which when flowing would be measured in amp-hours..."
Current is a verb, it defines an action. Without the action, there's no
flow. Without the flow there's no "amps", which is always measured
against a unit of time - the convention being hours (notice I said
'convention'- you could use any time measurement, days, U-seconds,
etc.). It cannot be measured without time - ever. Therefore, "amps" by
itself, does not describe anything. You could say there is a measurement
of an *instantaneous current* but that would still be just a snapshot of
the presently measured current-against-time. Amp-hours is and has been
the correct term because a "1 amp" device is defined by convention as a
device that passes a current of 1 amp during the course of an hour. The
term "1 amp" is simply a contraction for "device that passes 1 amp of
current during the period of one hour" Now, isn't that a mouthful?
Jeesh! The engineers and tech's of old used to actually *say*
"amp-hours" when describing current, and all my old electronics
textbooks use that term exclusively.

Sorry, I don'[t think you have it quite right. "Current" is an
instantaneous rate of charge flow. Although formally defined in terms
of forces in wires, it is better understood as a change in charge, as
in coulombs/second. Since Coulombs can be thought of as a number of
electrons (6.24E+18), Amps are "electrons per second" ignoring the
constant factor. Amps-hours thus represent a number of electrons.
However, the spec sheet said "Average current consumption for 12 VDC
systems over 24-hour period" which is "Amp-hours/day" - for some
reason Kinch keeps ignoring this even though is is clearly stated.
This is measure of charge flow, simply scaled up by 24 from amperes.

So if Mr. Kinch wants to call all my electronics professors frauds or
fools, so be it. But then I'll challenge him to come over and put his
instruments where his mouth is and show us all how he manages to measure
"amps" without time for the electrons to flow.

Measuring something is different from stating its instantaneous
property. Velocity is stated for a moment in time, but is real hard
to measure without considering a change in position over time, or by
using some other technique that considers time.

Or was that holes flowing... hmmm...