posted to rec.boats.paddle
Bill G

Default Anyone have experience with Wilderness Systems kayaks?

I've been paddling a WS Tsunami 145 in duralite for a year now (I'm
6'2", about 210 lbs, and had around 45 years of experience canoeing
before I started kayaking). I chose the Tsunami after paddling lots of
similar boats at the Paddlefest in Inlet last year. It felt more stable,
was easier to get into, and had more foot room than other boats in it's
class. I paddle on fairly quiet fla****er (e.g., L. Champlain), and have
been very pleased with the boat. It's fast enough for me, seems to
weather cock a bit, but in general tracks well. In like having a
comfortable seat, and not found any problems with the seat interfering
with a spray skirt, but as I've not yet learned to roll, don't know
anything about the potential for issues with a layback (whatever that is
).

For me and my 52 year old shoulders, the weight difference is a plus,
particularly when loading the boat after a couple of hours of paddling.
I did find that using a hull-a-port, the hull deformed when strapped
down. I've solved that by adding a longer support to the rack.

Hope this helps.

echinacea wrote:
After test driving a few different manufacturers I really liked the
Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145. I am considering getting this model in
the Duralite material. If anyone has had any experience with either
Wilderness Systems kayaks or with this material please let me know how
it went. Duralite is 10 pounders lighter but has a beam installed up
the middle to keep it stiff.