Jay

Default A boat for my family?

"Welcome to the water. Hope you enjoy your stay. You need either time or
money to keep a boat in good working condition - new ones are expensive

and
old ones (my preference) require 'input' (as a generalization). Please be
very careful out there, and know that there is a lot to know - many
experienced, highly-trained boaters keep on learning more about it all

their
lives, and many boaters who aren't interested in anything beside the
steering wheel and the 'go lever' are a menace to themselves and to all
around them. I started by reading Chapman Piloting and then got right into
the Power Squadron courses, but whatever route you choose to enhance your
boating knowledge and skills, please at least choose a route!"

I agree... Both the Chapman Piloting book and the Power Squadron courses are
great... I would also recommend involving the family and/or anyone else who
might spend significant amounts of time on your boat to join you in the
reading, and the power squadron courses... the first basic safety course is
free for anyone to attend last I knew....

-j