posted to rec.boats.building
Raynaud

Default Epoxy Resin/Fiberglass Tape: Milky Areas?

@#@

Milky white indicates an area that has contamination mild acids etc will do
this. Just cut the piece out clean with acetone and redo, no big deal.

Ray
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Just finished applying about 40 feet of 1" fiberglass tape to a surf ski's
(long, skinny sit-on-top kayak...) hull/deck seam using West System epoxy
resin.

99" of it went as expected, but I've got a few areas (2" max) where the
resin/tape is milky white. In the longest area, it was uniform from one
edge
of the tape to the other. In the smaller areas it doesn't extend the
full
width of the tape.

I guess I'm going to grind it off once it's cured and try another layer,
but the suspected cause will determine how I go about applying subsequent
layers.

Water weeping from the seam? Contaminated tape?

Something else?
--
PeteCresswell