posted to rec.boats.building
Ron Magen

Default Epoxy Resin/Fiberglass Tape: Milky Areas?

Pete . . .
'read' between the line . . .

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Ron Magen:
Sounds like an 'epoxy starved' area, to me.

SNIP

I guess I could try the following - but it would take a day or two with

12-hour
cure times.....

Not really -

Can I paint the surface with a thin coat of epoxy, smooth on the cloth,

let it
cure, . . .

NO - Neine - Nict . . . Do NOT let it cure before adding the 'fill coat'
or you will have the SAME problem {Did I mention you are going to HAVE
to cut out and feather the 'starved' parts}

and then squeegee more epoxy over top to completely saturate the cloth?
This would be a nice solution to some situations where the edges of the

cloth
want to curl up because of curves in the surface - tack one side down,

tack the
other side down, then saturate.

Try . . . 'paint' ENTIRE surface with unthickened epoxy{then let set, or
'heat accelerate' till tackiness gone, or immediately proceed on 'wet'
epoxy - your choice}, then UNROLL the glass tape into the epoxy. Use a stiff
disposable 'chip' brush to DAB it into the epoxy and use pins where it
starts to slip - pinning it in place as you go. Mix up another batch of
epoxy - unthickened, or slightly thickened - and dab it or GENTLY brush it
on to saturate the cloth WITHOUT getting runs, 'curtaining', or sags in the
cloth.

Either way, a few hours should do it - unless your ambient is around 40
degrees F.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop