Charles T. Low

Default A boat for my family?

John,

Ski boats tend to be smallish - 18 feet, shallow V for best planing and
small wake.

That isn't going to have many of the cruiser amenities you mentions, nor
hold 8 people.

One can ski - and certainly tube - behind larger boats, but an avid skier
won't be happy. I don't think so, anyway.

You can fish off just about anything, although there are purpose-built
fishing boats.

Maybe a "deck boat" would be a reasonable compromise for what you're looking
for. But you will have to compromise somewhere.

Also, I always take this opportunity to say:

"Welcome to the water. Hope you enjoy your stay. You need either time or
money to keep a boat in good working condition - new ones are expensive and
old ones (my preference) require 'input' (as a generalization). Please be
very careful out there, and know that there is a lot to know - many
experienced, highly-trained boaters keep on learning more about it all their
lives, and many boaters who aren't interested in anything beside the
steering wheel and the 'go lever' are a menace to themselves and to all
around them. I started by reading Chapman Piloting and then got right into
the Power Squadron courses, but whatever route you choose to enhance your
boating knowledge and skills, please at least choose a route!"

End of sermon.

Charles

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"John Smith" wrote in message
. com...
My wife and kids are bugging me about a boat.

I know nothing of boats and even less about which brands/models are
worth my search time.

I would take my kids tubing and fishing on a nearby freshwater lake.
The boat needs to be towable with ability to nose onto the beach.

We would need to handle 1-8 guests/crew. Guests/crew would need
refreshments and a bathroom and shade from the sun.

Towing inner tubers and skiiers is the primary use. Fishing is
definitely a likelihood, but a low priority.

Finally, for now, I can't afford the idea let alone an actual purchase!

I know nothing of boston whalers except they have a really cool name and
the one comment I saw tells me I can't afford a boston whaler.

So, which boats (for a northern california fresh water lake) should I be
looking into?

Thanks,

JS