posted to rec.boats.building
(PeteCresswell)

Default Epoxy Resin/Fiberglass Tape: Milky Areas?

Per Ron Magen:
Sounds like an 'epoxy starved' area, to me. Either not enough epoxy
UNIFORMLY applied to begin with, or an area rolled/squeegeed to hard and the
epoxy pushed away. To avoid this I usually apply in 2 to 3 'steps . . .
a} with raw wood - I put on a coat of unthickened epoxy and let it cure . .
. then cut parts. b}With repairs or applying cloth to a hull . . . apply a
coat of unthickened epoxy and allow it to 'set' - from just when it looses
it's tackiness, to the 'green' stage.

I guess I could try the following - but it would take a day or two with 12-hour
cure times.....

Can I paint the surface with a thin coat of epoxy, smooth on the cloth, let it
cure, and then squeegee more epoxy over top to completely saturate the cloth?
This would be a nice solution to some situations where the edges of the cloth
want to curl up because of curves in the surface - tack one side down, tack the
other side down, then saturate.
--
PeteCresswell