posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

Default Epoxy Resin/Fiberglass Tape: Milky Areas?

If the apllication of a little more resin can saturate the glass and its
bond with the substrate, you can salvage the job without removing the glass.
Test with a wet rag of acetone to see whether a liquid can flow through the
applied glass and saturate it./ If so, warm it well with a hair dryer or
heat lamp before brushing on a bit more resin. Warmth makes the resin flow
more easily.
If the acetone rag doesn't saturate the glass, the glass has to be removed.
If it hasn't cured too much, a sharp chisel would be the first tool i'd try.

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Just finished applying about 40 feet of 1" fiberglass tape to a surf ski's
(long, skinny sit-on-top kayak...) hull/deck seam using West System epoxy

resin.

99" of it went as expected, but I've got a few areas (2" max) where the
resin/tape is milky white. In the longest area, it was uniform from one

edge
of the tape to the other. In the smaller areas it doesn't extend the

full
width of the tape.

I guess I'm going to grind it off once it's cured and try another layer,
but the suspected cause will determine how I go about applying subsequent
layers.

Water weeping from the seam? Contaminated tape?

Something else?
--
PeteCresswell