posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Strazds

Default Autohelm 5000 Boat going in circles

Hi there Ed..

"Ed" wrote in message
. ..
is the fluxgate compass working with the autopilot off?

How would I tell this? The green light cycles and the dial rotates to a
course..

Is the rudder indicator working with the autopilot off?

Rudder indicator? = The dial that rotates - literally when turned on to hard
over..

Did you double check your wiring?

I have not followed the wiring through the bulkheads yet.

Looking at pictures of other peoples Autohelm 5000; I've seen a small board
with power regulators on them... I have not seen this board in my setup
unless it's inside the drive unit..

Can you steer the boat with the AH5000 with the pilot off but using the
steering mode? Can you steer with the steering wheel?

Yes

The answers to these questions will narrow it down. The pilot has manual
modes that by using them you can diagnose a problem.

Tried by the manual Here now

BTW... are you in AUTOPILOT mode or NAV mode when this happens?

Autopilot mode with various gain level settings

Thanks Glenn Strazds

Glenn Strazds wrote:
Autohelm 5000 Boat going in circles; Hunter 40

Hi there I thought I should ask this group; members with an Autohelm 5000
that have experienced their boat going in circles while endevoring to
make the autopilot work and what they did to get it to do what it i
ssuposed to do....

Is the controller defective? a nor and gate needs replacement? The
fluxgate compass is close to a magnetic article?

Followed the owners manual for setting it up ?

Pondering replacement - Navman system to go with the 3100 series
instruments already purchased and sent back for warranty - which do work
well otherwise including nema

Thanks Glenn Strazds