Chad

Default '96 Yamaha 115 Outboard Problem

I just purchased a boat with a '96 Yamaha 115 and when we took it out
for it's maiden voyage, it just didn't run right. It starts up fine,
but then I have to keep fluttering the choke to keep it running. When
I push the throttle down to get the boat up on plane, it will die,
unless, again, I keep playing with the choke. I also cannot get more
than 4000 RPM out of it at the top end.

I bought the boat from an older couple who rarely used it over the
past year, so I am hoping that it is just bad fuel and/or the
carburator may be gummed up. Any suggestions whould be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance!