bobby

Default Motor Overheated, now Water in Oil

Ron White wrote:

I would not waste too much time wondering. Now that you have the intake off,
just pull the heads and either check them yourself for cracks or warpage, or
bring them to an automotive machine shop. To properly check them for cracks,
they should be disassembled so the valve seats and valve guides can be
checked. You might as well have them freshened up. Generally speaking, heat
will damage the heads before the block or pistons. If you want to try and
spot the damage yourself, look carefully at the areas around the exhaust
valves, particularly the middle two which are adjacent to one another.

--
Ron White
My boatbuilding website is:

I pulled the heads last night and they are on the way to the shop. I didn't
look at them too closely, but did look at the head gasket real hard trying to
find where it was leaking. All pistons had equal carbon (expected this as
copmression tested good) and after tearing the head gasket up while removing
the heads, I could not see anything that looked like it had been leaking.
Should I have seen something? Since the block was still full of water, I don't
think I got it too hot (didn't fry it or burn any paint off of the heads). The
motor didn't die when I throttled back and restarted (turned slowly though and
did kickback, probably from preigniting). The temperature gauge only went as
high as 210 but the sender is a bit removed from the heads so it was sensing
steam temperature. Cannot say how hot the rest of the motor was. Still
wondering if there is any other way water could enter the oil as I'm not sure I
found a problem yet (unless the shop tells me they found a crack)?

Thanks again to all who responded and will respond.