Bob

Default Peggie - head feed/supply question

Skip Gundlach wrote:
So, I'm finally at the point of reinstalling/completing my head
installations.

However, the supply hoses which were on the pumps (in and out, from
through hull shutoff and to bowl) are white, stamped "made in the USA"
and no other visible markings.

What's the recommended supply line?
Skip

Hi Skip:
Not sure what head you have........ I put in a new PH 2 a few weeks ago
on PH's recomendation for heads under $200. The 3/4" supply hose from
the pump to the bowl was fastened on with nylon zip ties. The hose was
solid white with no markings and the ID was reduced by half because the
hose collapsed in place. Pretty Mickey Mouse OEM IMHO. But
hey........... for 200 bucks?

So I called an industrial hose supply and asked for some clear pvc
"suction hose" with a hard helix coil. This stuff is the same stuff I
recommended for use as 1 1/2" bilge hose.

Cost was $.98/ foot. Now, "be advised" and "now hear this" the hose I
got is one stout hunk of hose. Very flexible but will not collapse when
bent or kinked. On the other hand, that clear stuff with the woven
reinforcement so common every where will collapse.

So this is where someone will chime in and say, "oh, oh! It is not
designed for below the water line applications. Why save ten cents and
have your boat sink?!?!?"

I say read the spec sheet and use the stuff best suited for the
installation environment and at a reasonable price. You seem like a
fairly smart person who makes decisions on facts........ and if I
remember your boat buying posts, LOTS of facts. Go to the link below
and make your own decision if that pvc hose will work for a seawater
intake:

http://www.ges-inc.com/PacificEcho.html

I use it for all bilge and head intake applications. Now head discharge
is a whole nother story...................
Bob