Wayne.B

Default 3hp Minn Kota trolling motor

On 8 May 2006 21:23:55 -0700, "Zebra" wrote:

Can anyone tell me the thrust rating of the 1991 3hp Minn Kota trolling
motor? I bought the motor used, planning on using this motor as primary
power on my 10' Porta-Bote. Unfortunatly, there was no paperwork with
the motor.

There is a "rule of thumb" that estimates about 30 lbs of thrust per
hp. There are also the laws of physics that require about 750 watts
of power per hp. Since 750 watts equates to over 60 amps from a 12
volt battery, the likelihood of actually generating 3 hp from a
trolling motor is very remote.