Doug Kanter

Default Michigan Muslims Want to Use Loudspeakers for Call to Prayer

"Phaedrine" wrote in message
In article ,
(Curtis CCR) wrote:

I agree that if other Churches are allowed to ring bells for religious
reasons (as opposed to just announcing that it's noon) then mosques
should be allowed to have prayer calls.

I guess I do not understand how you equate the two. If mosques are
allowed loudspeakers, for instance, then perhaps churches should be
allowed to use electronic augmentation for their bells as well? Is that
what you are saying? (I don't understand why rec.boats got on this
list!)

Allowing Muslims to use loudspeakers doesn't mean everyone else is going to
do the same. Jehovah's Witnesses robots knock on your door when you're busy,
trying to make you take stupid pamphlets. They're legally allowed to do so,
but you don't see Hassidic Jews doing it, right? It's just a difference in
the approach.

Having said this, I'd take any opportunity to murder anyone who blasted
prayer announcements over a loudspeaker at 5-something in the morning. But,
this is a personal view, not a legal one. :-)

By the way, won't noise ordinances take care of some of this problem?