John Gaquin

Default Michigan Muslims Want to Use Loudspeakers for Call to Prayer

"plantsman" wrote in message

Church bells generally sound pleasant to most people. What kind of

religion
forces people to worship at a prescribed time multiple times of the day?

It's not just that they sound pleasant to the western ear. Big bells can be
painful when close by. The main point is that as a general rule, church
bells in the US rarely ring more than once a day, and in many locales, only
on Sunday. In small towns there may be daily ringings, but it is usually
with the tacit consent of the general population, just as every little
village and hamlet in the mid-east will have their broadcast calls five x
per day, and the local populace considers it soothing.

But you can bet your ass not one soul in SA or Iran or any of a host of
other countries would tolerate Christian church bells ringing multiple times
per day. They would find it offensive, and ban it outright, as is their
right. And we should not hesitate to do the same. God (or Allah) knows
they don't need a 120db speaker to remind them it is prayer time. Our
system and our laws ensure that practitioners of minority religions are not
persecuted, but we are not at all bound to allow that small minority
activity to intrude on, or inconvenience, or aggravate the majority of the
population. We are, in fact, a judeo-christian based society, and anyone
not of that cultural strain who chooses to live here should deal with that
on their own, just as any of us who have lived in SA or elsewhere have had
to adjust to their customs and society.