Gary Warner

Default Gunwhales ???

Ok, in another thread a question I always have
came up. Someone was helpful and corrected me
from "gunnel" to "gunwhale".

So, what IS a gunwhale?

Here is a definition I found googeling:
The name (pronounced GUN'L) given to the uppermost line of planking of a
boat's sides. In the old ships the upper tier of guns used to fire over the
top planking which was therefore specially strengthened by "whales".

So, lets say on my boat. Which of the following is the gunwhale
and what is the other one called??

A) It's a lapstrake hull. So each next higher "plank" overlaps the
one below it. At the top of the side of the hull the last plank is basically
perpendicular to the floor / water.

B) Then, at a 90 degree angle to that last "plank" there is another part of
the
boat. That part is about 8" wide. It' where one could step with one foot
while boarding the boat.

Are these both part of the gunwhale?

What's a proper or descriptive term for B? I've been calling it
the "upper side deck" (as opposed to the decking on the bow or
the decking on the stern).

I know it seems like a silly question but....

Thanks,
Gary