posted to rec.boats.building
(PeteCresswell)

Default Strength: Folded-Up Cloth vs Loose Fibers?

Surf ski (long, skinny sit-on-top kayak).

The deck is bonded to the hull by what looks like fiberglass mixed with
polyester resin. The bonding stuff is about 1/8" thick. Can't tell if
there's a flange yet.

Around the seat well, there is about 18" where the deck/hull connection is
cracked.

I figure I'll chisel out the existing mix - and try to feel out the flange,
hoping that if it's there it is flat and not s-shaped. Then I'll trowel in a
mixture of epoxy and either loose fibers or just wadded-up cloth.

Does this sound right? Will there be a strength diff between the two fillers?
--
PeteCresswell