posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett

Default GPS Plotter/Sounder with Fuel Flow??

On 7 May 2006 07:27:39 -0700, wrote:

I've just moved from Aviating to Boating and hope this is a somewhat
more affordable endeavor. In aviation, almost all of the GPSs
integrate with fuel flow. It appears to me that Navman seems to
produce the only plotter/sounders under a grand that integrates with
fuel flow. Am I overlooking something?

A couple of things -

A boat will generally carry enough fuel for a few day's operation, so
we're not too concerned about how much is left.

If we do run out, it is less of a problem in a boat than in an
aircraft (although still undesirable.)

Sailors may only need to fuel every couple of weeks while cruising (I
once went a full calendar year between fuellings!)

If someone has some other suggestions, I'm all ears.

On a more fuel-hungry power boat, I had a fuel flow meter that showed
fuel use in litres/hour, and kept a record of fuel used, so I could
plan to be near a fuel dock before the tank was too low.

thanks,

ted

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI