Frank Boettcher

Default Fixing scratches in Awlgrip

On Wed, 03 May 2006 06:15:40 GMT, Don W
wrote:

When a boat that has been painted with Awlgrip
gets scratched, how do you repair the scratch. If
it was gelcoat, you would just fill in the scratch
with matching color gelcoat, sand it fair, and
then polish it out.

Our new boat was recently painted with Awlgrip,
and it looks like they scratched it putting it
into the dock. How can I make the scratches go away?

Don W.

Awlgrip (catalyzed polyurethane) is no more difficult to apply than
any good automotive finish. The problem is getting the perfect color
match. If you have or can get the mix formula and the finish isn't
faded, the battle is 90 percent won.

For small scratches I would wet sand them out and use an air brush or
small touch up gun. Or if you have a friend who is in the auto body
or car restoration business, get them to help you.

Just follow the safety info with regard to respiratory protection. It
is fairly potent stuff.

Frank