Dave Hall

Default What Makes a Political Liberal

noah wrote:

My previous job (14 years) was management. I was laid off, and took a
temporary job in a construction crew in my field. It has been a long
time since I went home that tired.

Any management or professional jackass that thinks that blue collar
workers "push boxes around", doesn't have a clue.

That's all that many do. While "pushing boxes around", may be overly
simplistic, it does underscore the depth of education and knowlege the
typical worker needs to have. It's the difference between working with
your mind, and working with your body. Since far more people can work
with their body, than can work with their minds, there is a greater
demand (And hence a higher salary paid) for professionals.

Most "professionals" (in my experience) are far removed from the
reality of hard work.

The term "Hard work" is subjective. Why should the degree of "difficulty" only
be defined by physical parameters?

Egotism and stupidity set in, and the "whine"
is heard from coast to coast.

This sounds like an opinion based on a personal bias, rather than an
objecive observation.

I know it's cliche, but every "anti-union whiner" should slip on a
pair of steel-toed mocassins and try to keep up. They couldn't.

And conversely, I would wager that a much higher percentage of blue
collar workers could not even begin to fathom the job of a professional.
Tell me honestly, would it be easier for a brain surgeon to sub on a
construction crew, or the opposite?

It's interesting to me that you don't hear union or labor workers
begrudging the life-style of management or professionals, but the
reverse is not true.

That's funny, when I worked at my one and only union job, I was
constantly exposed to the "Us vs. Them" attitude of the workers as
compared to management. Many of the "rank and file" would make all sort
of groundless comments about what they thought management did to earn
their money, and how they "flaunted" it in front of the workers.

They don't have a clue, and don't want one.
It would upset their lifestyle.

You really need to come to terms with your bitterness. It's clouding
your objectivity.

The next time your toilet doesn't flush, your car won't start,

I'll get out the tools and fix it myself. Such is the advantage of
having a multitude of skills.

Dave