Don W

Default Fixing scratches in Awlgrip

Dennis Pogson wrote:

Don W wrote:

When a boat that has been painted with Awlgrip
gets scratched, how do you repair the scratch. If
it was gelcoat, you would just fill in the scratch
with matching color gelcoat, sand it fair, and
then polish it out.

Our new boat was recently painted with Awlgrip,
and it looks like they scratched it putting it
into the dock. How can I make the scratches go away?

Don W.

Try http://www.awlgrip.com/awlgrip_pages/contact.htm

Okay, got a reply back from the Awlgrip factory,
and here is what they say. I especially noted the
part about "Please note that these touch up spots
will be visible"

The following is by Beth Bernhorst at Awlgrip.com:

If you are wanting to touch up the scratches, you
can follow the system
below. Unfortunately we do not have touch up kits
at this time. The
smallest quantity of the color base available is a
quart and the
smallest quantity of brushing converter is a pint.
Sometimes a local
boatyard that applies the Awlgrip may be willing
to sell a small
quantity of the paint for minor touch ups, or try
contacting the yard
that applied the Awlgrip - they may be able to
supply you with a small
quantity. The following is the procedure for
doing touch ups by brush.

AWLGRIP(r) TOUCH-UP PROCEDURE

Note: The procedure which follows is for very
small scratches or dings.

On large repairs it is often much more efficient
to re-paint a complete
section than it is to touch up a small area, this
work should be left to
professionals.

For small scratches and dings, use the appropriate
2 parts of color base
mixed with 1 part AWL-CAT(r)#3 Brushing Converter
(H3002), and a fine
artist's brush to re-establish the color and seal
the substrate.

For small repairs you probably will not need
reducer for the topcoat or
any primer.

Gouges that go deep into, or through, the gelcoat
should be primed
before applying topcoat.

Seriously cracked or crazed fiberglass should be
professionally
repaired.

Keep a clean rag nearby soaked with M.E.K. or
Acetone. If you put on
too much paint, wipe it off with the rag while it
is still wet and start
again.

Please note that these touch up spots will be
visible. The new paint
will have more gloss than the old and you may
notice a color difference.

We do not recommend buffing the surface to "blend"
the touch up area and
the old finish. This includes the use of
Finness-It(r) and similar
products.

The benefit to touching up these small scratches
is you are sealing the
surface, helping to prevent water or other
contaminants from
under-cutting the paint film.

You may also want to try using Awlcare (Protective
Polymer Sealer). It
goes on much like a liquid wax, but contains no
abrasives and is
non-yellowing and non-building.

Please reply or call 847-599-6212 if you have any
additional questions.