Don W

Default Fixing scratches in Awlgrip

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Don ,,,, I was asking myself this same question lately.

I saw this really sweet boat, it had a new ( owner said $7,000 ) finish job
done to the topsides.

I'm looking it over with envy when I see a big old scratch on the side.
Looked like the boat had rubbed up against a dock and maybe a nail got it.

I kept thinking ??? $7,000 and now there is a big scratch.

Later I was talking to another boat owner and I said "why don't people just
paint the boats with one part paint, then when the topside gets scratched it
won't be a big deal".

I'm still wondering about that ... why do boat owners have Awlgrip jobs
knowing that the paint is going to get scratched?

With the roll, and dry tip method of painting ,,, I have seen paint jobs on
the net that look as good as Awlgrip.

So,, what is the answer ??

You got me. I'm a fan of gelcoat repair myself.
Then when you get even a deep scratch, you can
fill it in with color matched gelcoat, wet sand it
down, buff, polish, wax, and you can't even see
where the repair was done.

I think that because gel coating is a little more
labor intensive than painting, a lot of people
choose the easy way out.

Don W.