posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Default Is this battery bad? 7% drop in one day on 35-40 ma draw?

feetwet wrote:
Does the battery voltage increase again when you remove the load?

Chuck

No the voltage stayed the same removing the load.

The battery was down today slightly more at 85% @ 12.60v.

We are dealing with a lot of uncontrolled variables and that tends to
make firm conclusions difficult.

Normally, after a battery has been charged, the open-circuit voltage
will drop over a 24-48 hour period as the "surface charge" dissipates.
After that, the no-load voltage should remain fairly stable.

Technicians testing batteries often apply a brief load (e.g., turning on
headlights) to a recently-charged battery to rapidly dissipate surface
charge before testing. Your light load could be doing that, but it seems
unusual that the surface charge did not dissipate by itself by the end
of three days.

So all of this tends to fall in a grey area, somewhat outside what I
normally observe. Other posters find your measurements to be normal for
their experience. Sorry we can't be less equivocal.

Good luck.

Chuck