Bob D.

Default When to shoot a falre into someone elses bilge WAS: When would you board someone else's boat??

Quick question along these lines, when is it okay to fire your flare gun
into somone elses bilge, or at least urinate upon their deck?

Two years ago, I was at Put-in-Bay sleeping one off at my favorite
facility, when at 7:30am one Sunday this "gentleman" started his go fast
boat which had twin unmuffled engines.

I was along the wall, the marina was packed, so this guy was perpendicular
to me along the pier squeezed between me and the boat in front of him.
His exhaust was about one foot away from the starboard side of my boat
hull.

Needless to say when he started the engine, I sprang up and almost crapped
my pants. Now I'll admit I am prejudiced against loud go fast boats, as
I don't personally see the use in the excess noise (same opinion of loud
harleys), but I've never begrudged someone over it. If its loud and
moving into my quiet zone, it will eventually move out of earshot and it's
no longer a problem. And even though it's 7:30am, he still has to start
his boat to leave, right?

Unfortunately this ****head didn't have a clue about courtesy and decided
he needed to start his engines long before unsecuring his spring lines, or
taking in his power line, water hose, or even his morning reign on the
porcelin throne. I guess he needed those hi performance ponies good and
warm huh? TWENTY FIVE MINUTES LATER, bozo the boater pulled out of the
marina.

By this time I couldn't get back to sleep as all I could her afterwards
were my friends and neighbors awake, talking about what a flamming asshole
this guy was.

What would your reaction be?

Bob Dimond

In article , "Gary Warner"
wrote:

Just stuff to talk about:

Was reminded this morning of something that happened a few years back. I
was working on my boat in my slip. Another "non-resident" boat arrived and
docked next to me. They got off the boat and went up into the buy
restaurant. After a little while their stereo starts blaring. I later
figured out that it was a tape deck and must be the tape was at the end of
one side in a silent spot as they docked and got off the boat.

I didn't want to get onto their boat. I know I wouldn't want strangers
getting onto my boat. On the other hand it was a very simple thing to turn
off the radio and get off the boat. But if they happend to be the people
sitting looking over the marina I could see someone come running down
yelling.

Yes, I could also go to the management. But this is a small place and
finding someone is sometimes a problem. And then they'd probably say, "Hey,
don't bother me. Just get on his boat and shut it off."

I decided not to get on the boat. And when the guy came down I just asked
him to be more careful. He happened to be a very friendly type and said,
"Oh. You should have just shut it off."

On the other hand - same marina, different day - two of us who each have
boats there were talking. As the conversation went on and on we sat down on
the railing of another "regular" in the yard. We were in no way on the boat
nor was there almost any chance of us hurting anything. The guy happened to
come by at that point and went OFF really HARD about it. I agree we really
should't be touching his boat - but it was just a natural kind of thing.

So - What would you think if someone was boarding your boat?