Roger Long

Default Need Drivesaver advice

I haven't had a chance to read it yet due to the rare opportunity to
actually earn a little money.

He may well be right. When I stop and think how stubborn and
difficult vibration issues are in high powered boats and how rare
problems are in almost universally neglected drive trains like ours, I
can believe it.

The shaft on one of my research vessels is about 3" dia. Three times
the diameter for over 30 times the horsepower so the relationships are
quite different.

You've got my curiosity up so I think I'll take a break....

You'll feel better after you do all that work anyway

--

Roger Long

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
oups.com...
Did you read the article on alignment I cited? It's by a primarily
high-end powerboat surveyor, so has that bias.

The best I can read out of his stuff is that alignment in our boats
isn't worth much...

Despite that, I''m still going to pull the tranny, the shaft, take
off
the prop (of course, required) and take the couplings and shaft off
for
truing, should it need it. Another list I'm on where a similar
discussion is taking place has it that the only reliable
truing/observation of a shaft is a calibrated roller bed. His (the
surveyor) article suggests it's not needed in our sizes, based on
all
the other factors...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/p7rb4 - NOTE:new URL! The vessel as Tehamana, as
we
bought her

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
you
didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail
away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain