Roger Long

Default Need Drivesaver advice

Since I'm stuck out of the water for a month, I think I may tackle
that "someday" job and pull my shaft to replace the stuffing box hose.
I'd appreciate anyone who has had a shaftline with a Drivesaver apart
recently taking a look at this and giving me your thoughts:

Http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Stride...htm#Drivesaver

It looks as though the bolts in the gear coupling are studs. Is this
the case or are they bolts with heads inserted through the drivesaver
before assembly? I haven't got much clearance to work with and may
have to sacrifice and replace the studs by twisting them out with vice
grips and then replacing. If they are bolts instead of studs, I'll be
in a pickle unless I cut out the stuffing box hose first. I'm not
sure I want to commit to the job this year unless I'm sure I'll be
able to get the shaft out of the coupling.

My plan is to get the Drivesaver out, insert something between the
coupling halves that just bears on the shaft, and then use through
bolts through the coupling to jack the shaft out. Much depends on
getting that rusty set screw out. This was a fresh water boat so I
don't expect it to be quite as bad as it looks. I'm going to make a
dam around the screw with swimming pool epoxy and fill it with Liquid
Wrench for a few days first. It looks as though the through bolt
should drive out reasonably easily.

Despite all the bad things I've said about Drivesavers, I plan to put
it back just as it is because the boat is running smoothly enough and
I don't want to buy a new shaft at this point.

--

Roger Long