Don W

Default Question: How do you make sure that a documented boat is free ofliens

We are in the process of purchasing a 38' Irwin
that is a USCG documented vessel. I've been to
the USCG site and verified that the folks we are
dealing with are in fact the owners of the boat.

I've also seen that I can get an "abstract of
title" from the USCG by fax for a nominal fee, and
plan to do that as well.

What other steps should I take to make sure the
boat is free of liens before I hand over a
substantial certified check at closing? If there
were a mortgage or mechanics lien filed against
the boat either in Florida or Texas, how would I
go about finding it?

Just trying to cross the t's and dot the i's...

Don W.