posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bert van den Berg

Default Transducer Cable

David,

Your splice may, in fact, be fine but your depthsounder transmitter may be
stuffed.

When the staple went into the cable it probably shorted the transducer
connection. Instead of pumping a few hundred watts into a transducer with
an impedance of a few hundred ohms the depth sounder tried to pump this
power into a short and may have damaged the transmitter.

Bert

"David" wrote in message
Hi all.. So, while installing my transducer ( DST50 Standard Horizon) I

put
a staple from a staple gun into the cable. Brilliant, I know. Of course
the depth finder stopped reading depths so.. I'm guessing the cable is

very
sensitive and I wont be able to repair the cable by cutting and splicing

it
can I? I gave this a shot with no luck but I just did a quick cut &

splice
job to see if I would get any sort of reading... Shielding and other
factors to be considered I assume?

Thanks,
David