Chehalis Jeff

Default `72 Evinrude V4 Problem

Thanks guys...

First, the motor has actually run pretty well and has been very
reliable right up until it overheated. Second I cannot afford to just
buy a new motor or I already would have; but I really kind of enjoy
working on these old eggbeaters. From what I have been told the points
are really rarely ever bad since they act as a low voltage switch
(pre-coil.) I can't imagine the points going bad all of a sudden
either. Now the coil and amplifier are a different matter, both of
which are currently suspect. I also considered a blown head gasket, but
I don't see evidence of it.

-Jeff

surfnturf wrote:
If compression is good, my guess is that the engine is fine. Might want to
try out the new plugs before making any decisions. If that doesn't help,
your problem may be unrelated to the overheating. Which would put you back
to coil, wires, condensor & points, and carburetor.

Good luck.
surfnturf

"Johnny88" wrote in message
Looks like you are not getting alot of responses. I really can't help but
it is interesting to read in that I have a 72ish Johnson 4cyl 85hp but it
runs fine. If it were me I'd start calling up places that repair these
old
motors and see what they think. Sounds scary though - like at some point
it
might be better to get a new engine for your nice boat. good luck -