posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Gas prices

I agree with Max.

Also, American's are simply big and can't fit in, and
won't buy, cars built for midgets.

"Maxprop" wrote

"Capt. JG" wrote

The point is not to "collapse" the economy. The point is to force people
to change their driving and car purchase habits. That would do it,
according to economists.

Yeah, I've heard that, too. And I disagree.

Americans love big, consumptive vehicles (boats, airplanes, and motorhomes
as well as cars). All those fuel prices will do is put some people in the
poor house, shut down some small ma-pa businesses, convince
Daimler-Chrysler to import the Smart Car, and tank the economy while
causing inflation and interest rates to rise. But the total fuel burned
in this country won't change much, if at all.

Ethanol is a great alternative fuel, and almost inexhaustible. But Big
Oil has seen to it that it will never be readily accepted, at least as
long as the flow of crude is unimpeded, despite the cost.

Max