Joe

Default fuel/oil mixture - 1973 evinrude

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Joe" wrote in message

"trainfan1" wrote in message
WRH wrote:
50:1
That's 1 pint oil added to 6 gal gas. Do your self a favor and only

use
good
oil and high test gas.

Don't bother with high test gas... it could cause cause starting &
idling problems as there is usually an additive package included that
just isn't required for an outboard. The minimum octane rating for

1973
Evinrudes is 80.

Rob

Plus, unlike a 4 stroke, a two stroke will begin to lose power as the

octane
is increased above the detonation point.

At the advice of an OMC tech who used to post here, I started using
high test in my 1973 135 Evinrude, and it made a hell of a difference.
I had trouble getting the thing to idle smoothly in gear. I rebuilt
the carbs, did a link and sync, etc. The high test instantly cured my
idle problem, and ran great at wot.

If true, (coming for you unlikely) the higher octane is most likely helping
to overcome another problem you have with your motor.
Boosting octane above the minimum required in a stock outboard *is* a waste
of money *and* will hurt performance.