Douglas St. Clair

Default Wiring Confusion... Help!

I'm a bit confused with the current wiring in my boat. I've stripped
everything out except for the gauges and the ignition, as I'll be installing
new wiring for all the switches and accessories. My goal at the moment is
to install a fuse block and a negative bus bar. This all takes place in a
1970 Century Resorter, and the existing wiring was obviously "modified"
during the various projects of previous owners.

Lead Up Question #1
I'm confused on how the Battery, Alternator, Amp Meter and Ignition are
wired. There are three terminals on the back of the amp meter: [Wire to
Battery Ground], [Wire to Battery Positive], [Two Wires: 1 from Alternator
and 1 to Ignition]. The wire to the ignition is the "hot feed" to the
ignition. It's always on even when the Alternator is not producing power.
It appears that the two positive terminals on the back of the amp meter (one
from positive battery the other from alternator) are both always hot. Are
these simply common terminals?

Lead Up Question #2
The positive lead that goes from the battery to the amp meter is split by a
small cylinder "thingy" mounted behind the dash board with a "40" on it. Is
this likely a master 40 Amp Fuse?

The Main Question
How should the new Fuse Block be wired in? Where should it exist in
relation to the wires described above?

Unrelated "What the heck?" Question
My stern light has a positive lead coming from it's switch. The negative
lead is terminated on the gas tank's sender unit (a perimeter screw, not the
center screw which I assume is the "sender"). As far as I know, the gas
tank is not grounded to the engine or the battery. The only other wire
coming out of the sender unit goes directly to the Fuel Gauge. Is the light
grounded to the fuel tank?

Unrelated Garble...
I've greatly appreciated the great responses I've received from this
newsgroup over the past couple of months during my never-ending project.
It's truly been a great resource. Thanks to everyone that makes this a
worthwhile newsgroup!

Doug